Sunday, April 01, 2012

A is for Alexander (#366)

Alexander is my favorite movie.  It's from director Oliver Stone and stars Colin Farrell, who is my favorite actor.  Released in 2004, it was generally panned by critics and received a lukewarm reception from audiences (except on the international scene).  Some of Farrell's brilliant co-stars include Angelina Jolie, Val Kilmer, Sir Anthony Hopkins, and Rosario Dawson.  One of the reasons I love the movie so much is that its cast in impeccable.  I also love it for its grand sweep, its deep understanding of character and motivation, and the score by Vangelis.  I love everything about it.  Another cut was released in 2005, to try and make it easier to follow, and then a third in 2007, which is probably the most comprehensive and best one available.  Despite its general reputation, I have maintained Alexander as my favorite film since my first viewing.  I don't expect this to change, even though I've seen many great films since.

Star Trek bonus!

A is for Archer, Jonathan
(from Star Trek: Enterprise)
Jonathan Archer was the captain of the Enterprise, and was portrayed by Scott Bakula, who was sometimes accused of overacting (but that's a tradition that began with Shatner, so don't sweat it).  His father helped further develop the warp engine created by Zephram Cochrane, but Jonathan was the one to see the dream become reality.  He often struggled with Vulcans, but it was his diplomatic abilities despite his worst tendencies that helped form the foundation of the United Federation of Planets.

A-to-Z Challenge!

2 comments:

jabblog said...

Some films leave an indelible impression that cannot be shaken by future films. My husband's favourite is 'The Third Man' and mine is 'Zulu'.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Hey, I thought over acting was part of the captain requirement. They can't all be Shakespearean actors. ;-p

I don't remember if I saw Alexander or not, but how odd if I haven't. Great sounding cast!

I'm your co-host for the A-to-Z! If you didn't get an email from me the other day, it may have gone in your spam box. Please feel free to contact me via my profile or reply to that email if you need anything or have any questions.

Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...