Tuesday, April 03, 2012

C is for Citizen Kane (#368)

A classic both defies and clarifies context.  That's what Citizen Kane did for the movies, what the genius of Orson Welles helped give the budding creative medium, the ability to look past limitations and truly give birth to an artform.  Most film critics today acknowledge it as a masterpiece, yet Welles became mired in one of the most famous career tailspins in American history since Herman Melville after an inexplicable backlash marginalized his talent and downplayed his continued contributions to film.  Please take note: reward those who merit it, because even if you don't, they'll still win.  Reward those who don't deserve it, and you end up with Charles Foster Kane.  Fair enough?  If you've never seen Citizen Kane, you owe it to yourself to correct this error.

Star Trek bonus!

C is for Chakotay
(from Star Trek: Voyager)
The definition of a stoic first officer, Chakotay left Starfleet to fight for his ideals, joining the rebels known as the Maquis until fate intervened and he once more found himself serving aboard a Starfleet vessel.  Portrayed by Robert Beltram, who exuded calm charisma, Chakotay was a major player in the early seasons of Voyager, but faded more into the background the less he was needed to provide the example a stranded crew on the other side of the universe needed to figure things out.  It's probably no surprise that he was also at the center of the worst developments still to unfold from their prior lives, when the traitorous Seska defected to the first enemies to come across our intrepid crew. 

A-to-Z Challenge!

2 comments:

MOV said...

Hello,

What a great post! I think this is my new favorite blog! I will definitely be back to see what you dream up for the other letters, and to read more of your writing. I am following now.

I remember I wrote a term paper in college on Batman and the Hero Archetype. Cannot remember what exactly I wrote, but I did get an "A"!

I am doing the A to Z Challenge as well. Take a peek at my blog too if you get a chance! I write humor, and everyone says I am the funniest person on the planet (well, maybe it is just the voices in my head saying that—that’s the doctor’s latest explanation—but I will take what I can get).

Best,
MOV
http://mothersofbrothersblog.blogspot.com

Tony Laplume said...

Thanks for the vote of support!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...