Thursday, April 05, 2012

E is for Elizabethtown (#372)

Elizabethtown is one of Cameron Crowe's portraits of a man in transition.  It was released in 2005 and is probably best known for its soundtrack, since its profile did not match the popularity of, say, Jerry Maguire or Almost Famous.  For me, its appeal rests in stars Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst, both of whom display their magnetic appeal.  Bloom is still known in 2012 for his work in the Pirates of the Caribbean and Lord of the Rings films, mostly because efforts to star in other films have largely been glossed over by the same audiences who saw him be a part of those epics.  Watching him in Elizabethtown is a revelation on par with discovering that Robert Pattinson is more than just a glittery vampire.  Dunst, meanwhile, may not have a more appealing performance.  She's the original Zooey Deschanel, and this is the role that proves it.  Anyway, this is a favorite of mine that I wish more people would give a chance.  (Then again, that's a description of a lot of my favorites.)

Star Trek bonus!

E is for Evansville
(from Star Trek: Voyager)
From the episode "The 37's," Evansville is a descendant of the humans, including Amelia Earhart, kidnapped in the early 20th century, unwittingly giving birth to descendants who fought off the alien abductors and creating a society that would one day give a wicked temptation to the lost Starfleet crew trying to make it way back home.  Evansville just happens to have an awesome name.  It's the episode that I think is more notable, one of the more elaborate entries in the early seasons of Voyager.

A-to-Z Challenge!

3 comments:

Your Dirty Bird said...

Elizabethtown is a great movie - I agree (in fact I might pop it in today now that you brought it up). And Dunst is magnificent in it. Completely irresistible.

Tony Laplume said...

So glad there's someone else out there who loves this one.

Leslie S. Rose said...

Elizabethtown is one of my favorite movies. My family is from Kentucky and that movie made me feel like I'd gone home. Yes, my mother has a collection of Kentucky Derby glasses.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...