Thursday, April 26, 2012

W is for Warrior (#399)

Warrior (2011) was my favorite movie last year, and is to date Tom Hardy's best film.  I've been a big fan of Hardy's since first discovering him in Star Trek Nemesis, though most people noticed him for the first time in Inception, though more savvy film fans caught him a little earlier in the sensational Bronson.  Warrior casts him in what seems to be a signature role, a brawny fighter (in his career Hardy is not actually always brawny; those who may believe this will be surprised by some of his appearances) who in this permutation is an MMA fighter who through circumstances is forced into a family reunion with his brother, played by Joel Edgerton, and father, played by Nick Nolte, and this is the really crux of the film, because this is not a big happy family.  Jennifer Morrison, recently known for the TV show Once Upon a Time, displays a real film presence as well.

Star Trek bonus!

W is for Weyoun
(from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
One of the signature roles for journeyman Jeffrey Combs, Weyoun was one of the main representatives of the Dominion, the evil coalition on the other side of the wormhole that sent the Federation into an extended war and produced the best drama on what some fans argue to be the best Star Trek series.  Weyoun was a Vorta, and was actually divided into several iterations, because he could be cloned, and so was seen as dispensable even by his own people if necessary.  The episode "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River" represents his best, most defining appearance.

A-to-Z Challenge!

5 comments:

Michael Abayomi said...

I thoroughly enjoyed Warrior too, and indeed consider it one of the year's finest. I only recently just saw Star Trek Nemesis for the first time, and was so disappointed that I didn't even notice Tom Hardy was in it.

jabblog said...

I read all the reviews and realise what I've missed:-)

S. L. Hennessy said...

Uh oh...I actually never saw this one. But as clearly we have nearly identical taste in movies, I guess I'll trust your recommendation and go watch it.

Leslie S. Rose said...

I am using your posts to make a TBW - to be watched list. I've enjoyed the one's on your lists that I've seen, so I trust your taste.

Tony Laplume said...

Leslie, I'm very grateful that you're considering this list that way.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...