Monday, May 07, 2012

A-to-Z Reflections (#409)



How did your journey through the alphabet go?  Did you meet new bloggers with similar interests?  Are there any you would like to feature and share with others?
My journey was excellent.  I planned my excursion in advance and pretty much stuck to my selections.  To my surprise, there were a number of other movie bloggers, plus some Star Trek and comic book ones, too.  I featured those guys two Sundays ago,l so now you'll just have to visit some archived posts (or simply click here).


What were the highlights for you (lowlights, too...we want to hear it all)?
The highlights were the many fascinating blogs I read throughout the month.  The lowlights, as I've read from others, was the way the blogs were listed, which maybe for some people was easy to navigate, but not very structured, so was not very inviting.  Early on I narrowed my search results to the suggested ten (or whatever it was) blogs after mine on the list, but then later tried to go through the list again.  It was a really long list, and like I've heard from others, finding Wordpress on the list was never inviting, because the easiest way to bookmark on Blogger is for the blog to be...on Blogger.  Maybe I'm just being simplistic, but I like the concept to be simplistic.  Listing the participating blogs by category of interest, or even the theme the blogger will be using would have been extremely useful.


Did you enjoy posting daily?  What was your biggest hurdle?  What was your easiest task?
It became easy.  My biggest hurdle was settling on a time of day.  I started blogging early in the morning, found a new routine.  My easiest task was writing about what I chose as my topics, which hopefully should have been the point.


Was time management an issue (I know, silly question, when isn't it? but worth reflecting on)?
It was only an issue because I kept finding it a little difficult to do my posts and also visit the challenge blogs I followed within the time I'd allotted myself.


And what about your content?  Did you have a theme or dd you wing it?  Was it easy to come up with ideas for each letter, or were some harder?
The only one that I had to manipulate was "z," mostly because I didn't think to actually watch Zelig before last month, and I only wrote about movies I'd actually seen.  So I had to cheat that day.


How about commenting: Did you stumble upon lots of sites still using word verification?  Did this prevent you from leaving comments?  What worked for your blog?
One of the blogs I followed regularly (and hopefully you know which one you are, Michael *cough*) had word verification, but I put up with it.  I found that it helped to have both movies and Star Trek, because if one subject on a given day didn't elicit comments, the other one did.  It was funny to hear some commentators say they didn't know much about Star Trek, though.  


What will you do different next year (yes, you are doing this next year, you know it, even if your brain is telling you to run for the hills; it appreciates the exercise)?
I guess I would link directly in my posts to the blogs I'm following during the month, so there's some continuity.


What pearls of wisdom do you want to share with the hosts of this event (we would love to hear from you and know what you think would make this awesome event even better)?
The hosts really have nothing to do once the events actually start, except maybe monitor the blogs that actually participate after signing up.  Trends or maybe featured blogs could be spotlighted on the host blog, so anyone interested could see what's actually going on during the month without digging through the entire list.


That's all!

5 comments:

Michael Abayomi said...

I completely agree about including categories for subsequent challenges. Or at least information about each participants subject matter or theme.

S. L. Hennessy said...

I agree with you (and Michael) on that one. And I really enjoyed your blog this past month!

SpacerGuy said...

I wrote a fakey Z too, hehe. Heres to more successful trek fests! Qapla!

betty said...

Visiting from A/Z post challenge reflections; congrats on finishing! I like your thought of linking your posts to blogs you visited for the continuity factor. I hadn't thought of doing that; great idea!

Cool too with your themes! I sort of went with whatever word popped into my head for that particular letter.

enjoy your weekend!

betty

Tony Laplume said...

I thought it would be a good idea to acknowledge the blogs I enjoyed during the month. The cool thing was, some of the bloggers I visited ended up visiting me on a regular basis, such as Michael, SL, and Spacerguy. Thanks again, guys!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...