Saturday, June 08, 2019

We Bare Bears, Cupcake ATMs


Discovered We Bare Bears a little while back.  For anyone who's seen it, We Bare Bears becomes a cult-like obsession.  Grizz.  Pan Pan.  Ice Bear.  Mostly Ice Bear.

Anyway, so in one episode the bears temporarily (very temporarily) work at a cupcake ATM.  A cupcake ATM is something you find in the yuppy quarter of your average city.  (More on this in a bit.)  Basically it's a kind of vending machine for cupcakes.

I ended up finding a cupcake ATM here in sunny Tampa a few months back.  Last weekend I actually took the opportunity to have a cupcake from it. 

In the We Bare Bears episode, there's a ton of customization available.  At the Sprinkles cupcake ATM, there wasn't.  It was, as far as I could tell, just the flavoring of the frosting.  I don't know if cupcake ATMs simplified in the years since the cartoon version, or if the cartoon version was a horrible lie, or if the Sprinkles (that's the name of the yuppy bakery where you can also, y'know, go inside and order normal-style) cupcake ATM was itself limited in comparison.

The cupcake I got (black & white! like the cookie that made Seinfeld sick!) was delivered, as in the cartoon, in a box.  The (black & white!) frosting was great.  The cupcake was dry. 

Again, I don't know if that's standard.  I mean, cupcakes being kept in boxes, waiting to be ordered.  Not a lot of people using the cupcake ATM that day.  The novelty of it (and I'm a guy who loves novelties) was more than enough to interest me.  I saw some people taking pictures with it.  (The cupcake ATM, I mean.)  You kind of expect the cupcake to dry out.  Is everyone else okay with that?  I guess?  Yuppies like dry baked goods?  Or maybe that's why there wasn't a lot of actual business at this particular cupcake ATM?  I sat near it for at least an hour, waiting for a movie, reading Stephen King's The Langoliers.  (No crazy people tried to stab me due to vivid childhood trauma.)

Still, on the whole?  Ice Bear approves.

4 comments:

The Armchair Squid said...

I do love a good cupcake. Don't know how I feel about the ATM idea.

SpacerGuy said...

Ice bear is cool but the other dude just scared the customers away, what a dork. Even still I got a hearty laugh and even better with the girl demonstrating how to use the ATM, so hilarious.

Tony Laplume said...

Squid, the ATM concept is interesting, but I'd need a bigger sampling to know if my results were typical.

Spacer, Ice Bear is definitely cool!

The Armchair Squid said...

Freshness is so crucial with baked goods. Sitting around in a vending machine would kill it, without significant chemical assistance. Might as well buy Hostess.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...