Sunday, May 04, 2014

#740. May the Fourth Be With You

This is Star Wars Day.

Mainly because it's 5/4 and it sounds vaguely like something from the movies, but you know, it doesn't really matter.  I think people generally like Star Wars.  (Understatement alert.)  Although I've been looking at a book in a bookstore (it is still a thing) from a critic celebrating reviews he wrote back in the late '70s/early '80s and his only remarks on Star Wars are completely dismissive.  For some critics, you can never admit to liking something popular.  Then again, the only reason anyone ever hears about anything is that it is in some sense popular.  But I digress.  I don't mean to beat up on that unnamed critic.  His larger point is that he relished the days when it was okay to write at length about movies in reviews, which is clearly something I do myself sometimes.

And I could write at length about Star Wars again.  I could write about the prequels (which I unabashedly love) or the new movie that's coming down the pike (ooh! shiny cast photo that's been making its way around the Internet!) or the Dark Horse adaptation of George Lucas's original script (final issue being released this Wednesday, folks).

Or I can just make a vow to watch at least one of the movies today.  I think I can do that.  Hopefully.  I've been watching Star Wars my whole life.  I think I will still be able to say that in five years, ten, twenty, however long I've got.

Because I love Star Wars.  So may the geeky reference be with you!

3 comments:

PT Dilloway said...

I've been watching the Clone Wars show on Netflix so I'll probably watch a couple of episodes.

Unknown said...

I will be watching at least episode IV today.

Tony Laplume said...

I ended up watching Phantom Menace. Don't tell anyone, but I think I realized Palpatine is Darth Sidious!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...