Monday, June 13, 2016

867. The End of Anicetti, the 155th of Big Bethel

I'm not going to talk too much, but I felt it was important to mark the retirement of Frank Anicetti, who for years continued his family's (a hundred years' worth) legacy at the Kennebec Fruit Co. in Lisbon, ME.  Frank's the one who helped initiate Lisbon's annual Moxie Festival, and he was featured in Stephen King's 11/22/63.  Earlier this year he started toying with the idea, and now it seems he made it official.  He's a true icon in that town, and I hope this year's celebration of Moxie remembers that.

Somewhat conversely, I was a part of a different kind of history on Saturday, when the 155th anniversary of the Battle of Big Bethel was commemorated in my backyard.  I've been living in Hampton, VA, for about half a year now, and it's been interesting to observe the plaques and memorials so close to home.  I imagination it should always be interesting to have history near you like that.  It's not the first time, and it probably won't be the last.  This time, it just happens to include the present conditions of a battlefield that's dubbed the first planned land engagement of the Civil War.  Hampton is already very near the "Historic Triangle" in Virginia (Williamsburg, Yorktown, and Jamestown).  Anyway, there was a ceremony, and I stopped by to hear some of what was said.  The speaker compared the battle to Bunker Hill, which was certainly an interesting thought.  (When I took the historic trip of Boston my freshman year of college, I visited Bunker Hill.) 

2 comments:

PT Dilloway said...

I guess that's one good thing about living in Virginia. No Civil War battlefields up in Michigan. But we probably have some great War of 1812 ones. Does anyone do War of 1812 reenactments?

The Armchair Squid said...

I've never been much into battlefields. We visited Gettysburg in high school - fun trip for reasons that had nothing to do with history.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...