Friday, May 13, 2016

Mock Squid Soup May 2016 - Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Cherdo previously covered for the Mock Squid Soup gang, hosted by Mock and Squid.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) was the movie that kept on giving.  It gave us Jason Segel as a movie star, introduced the world (yay!) to Russell Brand, featured a spin-off for Brand's memorable Aldous Snow in Get Him to the Greek (2010), and led to Segel successfully rebooting The Muppets (2011).

That's a lot to accomplish, plus an instrumental version of Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwo'ole's iconic "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"/"What a Wonderful World" (which is appropriate, since the movie is set in Hawaii and, y'know, Iz was Hawaiian).

Instead of going on and on (as I usually do), let me just focus on my favorite scene from the movie: the puppet show.

 

I don't have a clip from the movie itself (the above comes from Craig Ferguson's since-ended late night talk show), but the song, "Dracula's Lament," expresses for itself that unexpected moment when you realize the puppet show that is so crucial to Segel's character is actually pretty awesome.  It's the whole movie in a nutshell.  You can watch the rest of the movie and kind of dismiss it as just another post-millennial comedy, but that song is what launched Segel's Muppets (which gave us the Oscar-nominated "Man or Muppet").

6 comments:

Birgit said...

I saw this movie quite a while ago and need to see it again. You are right about the puppet and I watched this song you put here-it is so inventive. I thought Russell Brand was excellent in it and the comedy was quite funny even if not PG. Great review.

PT Dilloway said...

I watched it years ago but don't remember a lot about it. Though unlike Aloha I don't think they had any white blond girls pretending to be Asian, so that was probably better.

Toi Thomas said...

I still haven't seen this movie and feel like I'm missing out on something. I'll have to give it a try again. It sounds like a must see for anyone who claims to love movies.

The Armchair Squid said...

There's a puppet show? Alright, now I'm intrigued.

Tony Laplume said...

It's just such an unexpectedly awesome movie. Well worth watching!

The Armchair Squid said...

I'll keep it in mind.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...