Sunday, August 10, 2014

#762. Marvel has a 2014 Grand Slam

I really wouldn't have imagined this as possible, but movies adapted from Marvel comic books turned out to be incredibly reliable entertainment this year.

First there was Captain America: The Winter Soldier.  I liked the first one, too, and so that wasn't too surprising.  Then there was The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which I liked better than the first one. Then X-Men: Days of the Future Past, which I liked better than First Class.

And now Guardians of the Galaxy.  I had great trepidation for this one.  Unlike the previous three movies, it looked like it was going to be kind of a joke, which is why I don't tend to like Marvel movies as much as other people.  ("Kind of a joke" in that it tends to not take itself very seriously.)  As it turns out, this is probably the new poster child of a Marvel movie not only having a lot of fun, but also having a good story and having some real emotional investment in its characters.  Sorry, Spidey.
via What Culture
Unlike The Avengers, there's a good reason all these random characters end up joining forces.  It's not just that they're a bunch of misfits and hey! could make a pretty good team and/or need to overcome something that is bigger than any one of them.  They're all on individual journeys, and even when they don't realize they're headed in the same direction, they are.

Yeah, even Rocket.

So anyway, I really liked it.  It's kind of like Princess Bride without all the declarations of love disguised under the phrase "As you wish."  It's kind of Star Wars from the point of view of a kid who's really obsessed with Han Solo (Peter Quill is Han, Rocket is kind of Han, but also kind of Chewie, as are Groot and Drax).  It's even, for me personally, kind of Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda.

If it was only the one film, I actually think this would be an even better experience.  If they knock it out of the park with the next one, it could legitimately be the best thing to ever come from Marvel.  As it is, in a tough Marvel crowd this year, Guardians of the Galaxy stands out.  It might even be my favorite of the four.

7 comments:

PT Dilloway said...

I'm probably going to watch that this upcoming week. I hear it's good.

Unknown said...

I will see it after school starts back up. Thanks for the non spoiler post.

S. L. Hennessy said...

I seriously loved it. Marvel is on an absolute roll.

Tony Laplume said...

It's gooood. (As Jim Carrey circa Bruce Almighty would say.)

Maurice Mitchell said...

Marvel films have an amazing focus and are getting better every year. I can only imagine what Marvel will be like in five years.

The Armchair Squid said...

Yup, everyone seems to like this one! Still haven't seen it yet but maybe before too long.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Best Marvel film outside of the Avengers. Seeing it for the second time this coming weekend. Told a co-worker he'd permanently lose his geek card if he didn't go see it.
I'm thinking toss these guys into Avengers 3 and it just might be the most epic film ever.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...