Monday, July 16, 2012

#437. WRiTE CLUB and new blog

Hey, so I'm going to be participating in DL Hammons' WRiTE CLUB.  DL's one of those inspirational bloggers who's also one of those aspirational writers, and he's been doing this WRiTE CLUB for two years now.  I figured I was already doing Martin T. Ingham's Shootout and had just released Monorama and have no idea how to promote myself, so I'll just get myself out there with stuff like this and see how it goes.

I've also launched a new blog, and it's called Tony Laplume and yes, it will be totally about me as a writer and I hope that will help solve some of the problems I've been thinking about recently.  Maybe yes maybe no but Blogger doesn't charge for these things, so it can't possibly hurt.

It's also worth noting that Michael Abayomi is participating in his own writing challenge.  Have a look at that.

Anyway, saw the movie Evolution last night, which was something I was interested in when it was originally released in 2001, but never got around to it.  Yes, I sometimes support things I have not technically personally supported.  It's directed by Ivan Reitman (and yes, was dismissed at the time as a poor effort to recapture his Ghostbusters mojo) and stars David Duchcovny, Julianne Moore, Orlando Jones, Seann William Scott (and actually features the onscreen origin of his bird imitation that amused me so much in The Rundown), and minor roles for Dan Ackroyd and Ethan Suplee (whom you might remember from My Name Is Earl).  As I thought back then, I was amused by it.  Evolution is no great contender for the greatest film ever, but it's worth a look, definitely.  It's basically a spoof on the scientific community as well as the academic community (and yes, it was also dismissed at the time as Duchcovny's half-hearted attempt to cash in on his X-Files fame without actually doing X-Files) and could possibly today be mistaken for a spoof of Prometheus, some ten years early.


7 comments:

Maurice Mitchell said...

Bookmarked your new blog! Evolution was an interesting film. The science is surprisingly coherent. I was confused about it until I heard the original script was not a comedy. Then, it all made sense.

Tony Laplume said...

It's not really a laugh-out-loud kind of movie in its final incarnation, either. Duchcovny sets the tone. It's funny, because at the time people only thought of him as Mulder. I watched Evolution after getting to know him for the film Kalifornia.

PT Dilloway said...

I saw that movie probably on DVD after it was released. I remember it was pretty good, though I haven't seen it since.

Michael Abayomi said...

Thanks for the shout out, Tony. I saw Evolution all those years ago, but can't seem to remember anything about the movie beyond how comical Orlando Jones was.

Tony Laplume said...

No problem.

Leslie S. Rose said...

Popping over to your new blog. Wasn't Evolution the movie where they used Head and Shoulders to kill the aliens?

Tony Laplume said...

It was!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...